When the doctor is informed of the arrangements for the end of life, he or she must take them into consideration after making sure that:
- The circumstances and requirements foreseen in the arrangements for the end of life are fulfilled;
- The arrangements are valid and have been duly registered;
- The essential conditions in relation to the condition of the patient are fulfilled:
- The patient suffers from a serious and incurable accidental or pathological condition,
- The patient is unconscious and
- This situation is irreversible according to the current state of science.
The doctor may refuse to proceed with euthanasia, but he or she must inform their patient and/or the person of trust about that within 24 hours and to transmit the file to a fellow doctor designated by the patient or the person of trust.
Does a doctor have the obligation to fulfil a request which complies with the law? How about the nursing staff? How about hospitals or other facilities hosting persons at the end of life?